Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cowboys and a Rodeo

I went home last night! It was a great wrap-up to a Wednesday. I got home and made these awesome (and heavy) grilled Swiss Gruyere and sharp cheddar cheese sandwiches with bacon, mustard and Parmesan to boot! I also made roasted potatoes and onions in a mustard dressing that was also delectable. We drank glasses of white wine in our wrought iron chairs on the brick patio watching the water fall from our sprinklers into the grass.

Today was a long day. I drove back to Weatherberry, in good humor, and had to be in class for 4 hours followed by taking a two part online exam that kicked me in the derriere. After feeling frustrated and next to tearful from it, Marie and I got ready to go to a rodeo! I wore my new sandals my sister, KB, got me from Uganda for my birthday, and felt like Jesus of Nazareth upon getting out of her SUV in the grass field parking lot. The ground is rather sandy, and much more so when at a rodeo. I think it just comes with, it must, because my feet sunk into the sandy dust at my feet with every step I took. With a nice soft and gritty feeling between my toes, we walked around the dozens of horses with their cow people on them (both girls and boys), and found a place to stand near the "heelin' box." We saw the cowboy's calf ropin', then the cowgirl's breakaway ropin', the team ropin', and finally the barrel racin'. I was informed the calves were uneven, which means some were coming out running and others weren't moving at all, so it was hard to know how to ride out.

It's always so interesting to go. I just eat up all the cowboy hats, vests, saddles, leather fringe, cowboy boots, spurs, blue jeans, and plaid shirts. I try not to stare. All the girls have long hair down their backs either very straight or worn wind torn in flat brassy waves. I stuck out like a sore thumb with my short hair, cargo jacket and Nazarene ballet sandals. I was missing some key elements, but I was prepared to stick out, I knew it was inevitable. All I could do is look cute, so that's what I did.

As soon as I opened my mouth there to ask Marie a question everyone in a three foot radius glanced back at me to look at who just asked, "So, why do her legs fly out like that, does it just happen..." Marie grinned, "No, they're kickin' the horse, it's the gas pedal." Oh, so they mean to flap their legs like that. I'd have known that if I'd ever ridden a horse faster than a trot. A lot of sideways glances came my way for that one.

I'm going home again tomorrow. The house needs cleaned, and I'm always excited about that. I'm love to make things clean again! It satisfies something within me, haha! Now, if only I could get Zach to discover that phenomenon.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Great read! I felt like I was at the rodeo and I could picture myself out on the patio!