Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Small Town America

Relief. Insurmountable relief after every test. It's like running and getting the adrenaline rush afterwords. Just plain old relief. It always makes me smile and laugh when I go to talk to classmates down the hall outside the student lounge. It's become a tradition, after each Principles exam so far this semester (I think it may have started last semester somewhat with Concepts) a handful of two of us go to the single local sports bar, have a beer and just vent over steaks, fries, onion rings, fried pickles/okra/zucchini, chicken fried steaks, and gravy. I had a salad. A club salad, but I've worked to hard and haven't been the greatest eater or exerciser lately. Those are the highlights. Have I mentioned the side items include homemade fries, straight fries, potato skins, mashed potatoes, sauteed (in burger grease) mushrooms (yuck), steamed veggies (yuck), and a fruit cup (yuck). So when you order a steak, it comes with two side items and a salad, what do you get? Potatoes and more potatoes.

Oh, another bone to pick...since when has group gratuity gone up to a mandatory 18% at a hole in the wall sports bar with bad service?  I left her a note telling her the service was sub-par and if it had been up to me, I'd have left 10-15%. When I lived up north, 15% was a GOOD tip! 18% just wets my whistle. The diner is the only good place to eat in town really, but its never open. It's an original one from the 50's, it's classic and the food and service are the best in town.Okay, enough of this tangent.

Anyway, I got to park in a dirt parking lot with a huge uncovered hole in the middle of it, and uneven sidewalks just waiting for you to drive over them the wrong way so they can tear out the bottom of your cheap little foreign car. Now I know why everyone owns a huge Ford. I've never seen this many Ford Mustangs in my life. They're just as popular as the trucks and SUVs.

I am sad to leave here though. I will miss all these things I've elaborated on. It's in sharing it and telling the story that makes these an observed part of my history and existence. The names and places of this town may fade, but the feelings and emotions I feel will hang on for a life time. It's truly been a cultural lesson in understanding and acceptance. I am a different person now, for better or worse by some standards (I don't care about anyone's standards), and I've learned so much about people and just the fringe of how expansive the variation of the human mind individually and as a whole. I also look forward to going home. 

Well, I've got to get to my lab discussion board...project post due tomorrow at ten. Enjoy!

"Believe nothing on the faith of traditions,
even though they have been held in honor
for many generations and in diverse places.
Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it.
Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past.
Do not believe what you yourself have imagined,
persuading yourself that a God inspires you.
Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests.
After examination, believe what you yourself have tested
and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto."
-Buddha
 
"We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts, we make our world."
-Buddha

4 comments:

Tammie said...

Let's try to eat at the diner while we are in Weatherford. My stomach did that longing thing when you waxed poetic about the people and places you will miss there. Once someone along time ago said to me the only thing you can rely on is change. It meanst something totally different to me then than it does now. I love reading your blog, b/c you put your best authentic self forward. I can relate to much of what you say, but the best part is hearing your voice in this way.

AE said...

We sure will try to eat there. I've been thinking about when the best time will be. I saw a quote today that goes along with the reliability of change you mentioned, "Life is not about weathering the storm, it's about dancing in the rain." It was something like that, I can't promise exact words. Thank you for your words and input, I always look forward to seeing comments on my blog, it means a lot.

KB said...

I want to go to the sports bar and leave a 15% tip. Jerks. I hate that too.

It is nerve wracking to start something new, but it is exciting. You are almost a real adult with a real job! I remember how unnerving it felt when I finished med school and realized that I was that much closer to not being a student anymore. That's all you've ever known, so it is scary. But it will be awesome to not have to go to class everyday:)

AE said...

Thanks :) It is daunting, and I am looking forward to it!