Monday, March 28, 2011

Mondays...

I'm so sleepy, I keep zoning out in deep thought and my eyes start to close when I realize I'm falling asleep. I'm suppose to be studying for an exam that is tomorrow, but I thought I'd take a break and maybe a short nap before I continue. My roommate just woke up from her short snooze, and now she's making popcorn...yum.

The weekend started out gorgeous and I did my best to spend as much time as I could outside in my backyard. I moved some chairs up to our balcony, and raked all the layered damp moldy leaves leftover from November away from our porch and bushes. I swept them back to our somewhat rather large and out of control compost heap. I need to do something about it, there was a family of rabbits living in there until Friday when my dogs so lovingly killed one of the babies and ate it. Awesome. I'm not much for killing things, especially baby animals, and more especially baby bunnies. I yelled "Oh no!" with great concern and anguish over and over again and my dogs thought for sure they'd done some big "no-no" but kept glancing back and forth from each other to me perplexed as to what the problem was. The worst part was that I hadn't been watching them, and the little one, Lana, came running out of the house with it in her mouth...lord knows the things that come in and go out of our house.

So many things are sprouting! Our dogwood is all abloom and the dahlias have emerged with flower buds, the day lilies continue to get higher, and the pansies are just happy to have made it through the winter in the wheelbarrow. I even have some miniature white and orange daffodils flowering at the foot of an oak in the front of our house. The mums from the fall have come back wherever they had been planted, and some flowers under a sculpted holly have reemerged as well. The hostas are up with bright green delicacy in front of the growing tree stump in the corner. The bushes below the dogwood are even heavy with white buds, ready to transform any day now. Sadly, or maybe luckily, the overgrown bushes we cut back with a vengeance last fall have not started to come back yet, but their fate is still undecided I suppose. Also, all the fescue I labored to plant in our bare spots last fall has survived and is coming to, much thicker and green than the rest of our yard. The weeds have also come like a storm, and have overtaken the Bermuda section of our backyard again this year. I fear its too late to use herbicide though without killing off all the sod as well. I hate using chemicals anyway. I also filled the bottom part of our bird feeder and was delighted to see the small sparrows arrive within minutes to partake, followed by male and female cardinals alike. I haven't seen any bluejays yet, but we had almost three last year that would come and go.

Oh, I bought some fun spring/Easter toys for Zach and me (he doesn't know it yet), but I'm really excited about them arriving from Hearth Song. First, I got an egg that you crack open the top and there is soil and seeds already planted and it will grow inside into basil, the best. Next I got Zach an Audubon bird whistle that is suppose to sound and attract birds to our yard. I guess it's helpful if you like birdwatching, he loves birds. Then I got two insect kits. Haha! I got a butterfly and a praying mantis one. I thought the butterflies would be really awesome, and a plus if they stick around, and Zach is fascinated with praying mantis', so I thought he would think that was pretty cool. They may also help with our mosquito problem, hopefully, but far fetched they'd make a difference. Sadly, the mantis kit is back ordered, but the other three are headed our way! 

Oh dear, I should wrap this up, and get back to studying. Only five meager weeks left of this semester; oh, the bittersweet nature of that realization! Here's to an eventful week of studying and writing papers!

3 comments:

KB said...

Ew praying mantis! Haha, the butterflies will be cool though. Oklahoma is much more alive than Ohio right now. It was 28 degrees out when I went to work today:(

AE said...

Brrrr! That is cold! It was chilly here again today, but should warm back up to the 60s 70s and 80s by the end of the week.

Tammie40 said...

I love to read your posts!! Good for you that you ordered some things from Hearthsong! How much fun that will be.... you are having spring now and we still have snow on the ground!