Sunday, February 19, 2012

Spring Fever

I think I've been experiencing a bit of spring fever today after spending some time with my friend, Trish, yesterday. We went to a knitting class together to learn how to knit, and then went to a nursery to look for seeds. She's somewhat of an expert gardener in my opinion, so I had her help me select things easy to grow, and things that were successful here. In the end, I spend $25 on seeds, and made a scarf.

 I planted all my little seeds into some planting things I had leftover from the fall, and set up a card table next to the brightest window in our house, where I'd had my other seedlings on a chair. I also planted some mesclun in my wheelbarrow outside next to the cilantro (and possibly some volunteer violets). So, I planted eggplant, coneflowers, delphinium, chamomile, cilantro, blackeyed susans, parisian carrots (they're round and can grow in pots), and radishes (also compatible with a pot, and should be ready to eat in 24 days!). When the weather is a little more of a sure thing, I'll start the cucumbers, sunflowers, stevia, basil, and more pumpkin seeds outside. If I had more planting things, I'd probably start the stevia and basil inside as well, but I'll have to look for more pots. It's very exciting! Trish also gave me some of her own Egyptian walking onions from her harvest last year, so I'll be excited to start those soon too. She said they'll grow pretty much no matter what. This summer, we've decided to learn how to can our vegatables too! We'll see how that goes. We have another knitting class next weekend too, we'll learn how to knit in the round. I think that'll be very handy, and I bet I'll be able to make many cute things for my future neice/nephew. The week after that we're to learn pearling. It's fun to do things like that with a friend. It's just nice to finally be able to call someone my friend that I know will likely stick around and not disappear after awhile. Also, a friend that I can relate to and not feel like the fish out of water I've felt like for so long here. I do find it strange I tend to find friends that are much older than I am, she's ten years my senior, but it doesn't worry me too much--most girls my age aren't like me.

Any way, as for now, I'll finish this up.

Awake, thou wintry earth -
Fling off thy sadness!
Fair vernal flowers, laugh forth
Your ancient gladness!
~Thomas Blackburn, "An Easter Hymn"
























1 comment:

Tammie said...

OH I envy you already thinking and doing spring things! How exciting that you are taking a knitting class, love the scarf you made. I am so happy to hear that you have a friend! Really! It makes me so happy! I love the piece of poetry at the end too!