Friday, February 3, 2012

A Small Orange Project

So, like I have done for so many years, I am inspired by my older sister, and though I am not naming my hamster Rina to mimic her hamster Tina, I have made a lunch bag. It is not nearly as nice or detailed...I'm lucky to sew in a straight line. It's fabric left over from my other project the other day, and until that fabric is used up, it will probably be seen again, and again, and again. Maybe I'll make grocery bags next. The problem there is remembering to bring them to the store. I have three I bought, but never remember, but maybe, just maybe I'd be too excited to use ones I make to forget them...at least at first. I did think a lunch bag would be nice since I used a brown paper bag or some hideous grey thing. It's not insulated, but for now, I don't think that is necessary...there are usually fridges if I must keep something cool. And besides...I usually just bring a PB&J sandwich and call it good. Here are two pictures I masterfully took with my iPhone.



The button I actually found in the old sewing shoe box that used to belong to Zach's Grandma Rosie before she passed. It's interesting to think she used to own an outfit that this button would have gone with.

I began a new rotation on Wednesday, and so far, it's great! I don't have to be there until nine, and I usually get out by five if not sooner. Therefore, as of today, I've begun to plan meditative times in the morning before I leave.

Also, I think as of tomorrow, I am going to eliminate processed sugar from my diet. If I do have a gene that predisposes me to diabetes, I'd rather get in good habits now and hopefully ward it off as long as possible. Plus, I just consume too much sugar. I am always way over on my calorie counter for the amount of sugar I am suppose to intake. So, no more sugar on cereal, no more chocolate chips, no more icecream, no more cookies, cakes, and candy. Granted, I understand that I should allow exceptions, but at least in the beginning, I'm going cold turkey...

On a related note, I guess the FDA is trying to make sugar regulated like nicotine and alcohol, which would increase the cost of sugar containing products because they can tax it extra and maybe put an age limiting factor on its sale. That would be interesting. I'm not sure how they think they're going to do that.


“The creatures that inhabit this earth--be they human beings or animals--are here to contribute, each in its own particular way, to the beauty and prosperity of the world.”

“Inner peace is the key: if you have inner peace, the external problems do not affect your deep sense of peace and tranquility...without this inner peace, no matter how comfortable your life is materially, you may still be worried, disturbed, or unhappy because of circumstances.”

“Because we all share this planet earth, we have to learn to live in harmony and peace with each other and with nature. This is not just a dream, but a necessity.”
-Dalai Lama XIV

1 comment:

Tammie said...

hmmm....I left a comment yesterday... I love, love, love, the quotes at the end..I am reading a book by the current Dalai Lama. I also love the lunch box! Yes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, you just want to be like your big sister :). Good luck with giving up sugar... I think it is easier to go cold turkey than to try and cut down...