Monday, January 23, 2012

January Summers

Lately, the weather has been somewhat menopausal, with warm temperatures, followed quickly with biting ones. For me, a seventy degree day in January is a special sort of blessing that brings me home in such an odd fashion. It felt like summer to me. The wind even smelled the same. There aren't many times of the year where I live now that I can enjoy such days as that, and I'm cherishing every one. The summers are no good here, being so blastedly hot you can't breathe or you may go outside for want of a heat stroke.

Since Christmas, I've fallen out of my morning routine of meditation, which is disappointing and frustrating, but the first step to restarting is acceptance at failure. This month I cannot do morning meditation, I would have to do an afternoon meditation, which I haven't quite figured out yet...and the month is nearly out. I'm having to be downtown  by seven, meaning I must leave by six thirty...there's no way I can make time for a half an hour to an hour (since I'd probably be falling asleep) meditation session before I leave. I tried in vain for two weeks. I just kept sleeping in, but I think I wanted to sleep in, it just seemed so horrible to get up that early. So, I guess I will continue to mull over that one for another week until my next rotation begins. I'm beginning to fear it might be early too, but I can manage morning meditation with eight o'clock arrivals, and my next site is quite a bit closer.

I think I am going to learn how to knit in February by the way. My friend, Trish, asked me to go to some classes with her, so I'm hoping to make that work. I've always wanted to learn how to knit...I learned to do simple crochet work, but never knitting. My sister tried to teach me a long time ago, when I had a lot less patience for not being naturally inclined at doing something, so I don't believe the session lasted much longer than five minutes.

This spring is looking to be a sleepy one, full of routine, which I am hoping to find some solace in. I just need to find that routine and set it right. I may resort to scheduling my daily minutes like I used to do in high school in order to force myself into some sort of peaceable structure--at least for a few days. See what happens.

To more days of summer in January...

1 comment:

Tammie said...

I remember learning how to knit it the sixth grade. We had little classes called mini courses and I took one called "large needle knitting" we used huge fat needles and the knitting went very quickly! That's my kind of project.

I find it tough to get meditation in if I don't do it earlier in the day too.....